Sherwin-Williams has a fun app you can download to your phone that boasts the ability to match real-world colors with paint colors. “ColorSnap” is available to download from the App Store and has a number of cool features:
- Capture a color that inspires you and match it to one of 1,500 Sherwin-Williams paint colors.
- Create a custom palette or Ask Sherwin-Williams for complementary colors.
- Search for specific colors or browse the full Sherwin-Williams color palette.
- Fine tune colors using lightness, saturation and hue features.
- Save colors to your “My Saved Colors” library to compare palettes or share via Facebook and email.
- Learn detailed color information, including color names, RGB values, and LRV numbers.
- Find a Sherwin-Williams Store Near You
The best part about this application is that it is free! I downloaded it and tried snapping a few pictures, then matching their colors and it was actually fairly accurate (my house is painted in all Sherwin-Williams colors). I liked the versatility of the program and could see how it would be very useful for someone who is working on a major project. It allows you to save 3 colors per palette so you could, for instance, save your primary wall color, accent color, and trim all to the “dining room” palette, then do the same for each room of your house. While the accuracy of the colors may not match that of an actual paint chip, it might help in a pinch.
Of course, not everyone has an iPhone. For those who do not, the Sherwin-Williams website has much to offer in virtual assistance. In the end, though, the best way to pick a paint color is the tried-and-true method of painting samples on the walls, then examining them under various lighting conditions.
At Jenkins Custom Homes, we provide our clients 8×11 sample sheets of their initial color selections (available to professionals from Sherwin-Williams) to help them narrow their choices. Then, we paint samples on the wall of those two or three selections so they can always select that perfect one paint color for each space. When the project is finished, we provide our clients with a detailed list of every color and stain used in the home, as well as extra paint in case they ever have need for touch-up.