There’s No Place Like Home
It’s a wonderful thing when an idea is hatched that has the potential to help others or lessen a problem. It’s another type of wonderful when a great idea is put into motion through careful planning, vision, hard work and perseverance.
The Community First! Village initiative is a cause we believe in. It is an opportunity to help our neighbors in a way that that can directly improve the prospects of our chronic homeless in Central Texas and give them the tools to improve their lives and regain their human dignity in a safe, supportive community.
Community First! Village
Community First! Village is a 27 acre master planned community that is providing affordable sustainable housing and a supportive community for the disabled, chronically homeless in Central Texas. Find out more about Mobile Loaves and Fishes and their Community First! Village initiative here
The Community First! Village offers residents the following:
- An innovative mix of affordable housing options
- Memorial garden and columbarium
- A community garden featuring fruit- and nut-bearing trees and vegetables
- A chicken operation, bee hives producing fresh honey, and aquaponics
- A workshop with tool bank and art gallery for micro-enterprise opportunities
- A medical facility for physical and mental health screenings and support services including hospice and respite care
- Walking trails
- An outdoor theater and bed & breakfast for mission visits
- CAP Metro bus stop
- Places for worship, study, and fellowship
Our Opportunity to Help
Let’s work together!
Jenkins Custom Homes has committed to building one micro-home in the Community First! Village, and we need your help to build a second home. Together, we can lift two of our homeless neighbors off the streets and into a community and home.
The cost to build both homes is just over $20,000. So we need $10,000 in order to build the second home. As we receive donations, the graphic will be updated live. So check back often to see how far we’ve come!
We know we have some friends with big hearts and the ability to aid this project. With your help, we will have the home built in no time.
Our two tiny homes are almost complete. Only paint, lighting fixtures and a few special finishing touches remain. It is inspiring to see so many members of Austin’s building community lending a hand to others.
Here are a few pictures of the progress.